Australian tourist finds red trail running the length of his stomach after poisonous spider crawls through appendix scar
A red trail left on the stomach of Dylan Thomas after a spider burrowed under his skin
A poisonous spider was not the holiday souvenir that Dylan Thomas was hoping to bring back from his trip to Bali.
Returning to his home in Bunbury, Western Australia, Mr Thomas, 21, he felt an unusual pain in his stomach, which had been caused by the spider that had made its way into his abdomen via an appendix scar.
“It wasn’t really a tickling sensation, obviously once the venom started to affect my skin it was a really burning sensation like a searing feeling,” he told a local radio station.
He then noticed a mark on his stomach, which gradually worsened.
“I knew for a fact I hadn’t done anything or come into contact with anything to make it worse.
At first a doctor dismissed the scar as an insect bite and gave Mr Thomas antihistamines.
Then the mark spread up his stomach. It was then that hospital tests found the spider had crawled into his body and had been living there for three days.
By this point there was a red scar running from his navel the middle of his chest.
It was the venom from the spider which had created a series of blisters on his stomach.
Mr Thomas, who almost inevitably, is now known as “Spiderman” to his friends, said he felt “violated” by the spider.
The dead arachnid has been sent to a laboratory for identification.