An interesting video to get inspiration from.
By (Rezene Ocube Haile)
Prickly pears (Beles) in Eritrea could one day be an excellent resource for the economic development of the country !!!
The purest oil of prickly pear seeds is obtained by cold pressing of seeds. Today, it is perhaps one of the most expensive oils in the world. In Paris it can cost € 1000 per liter. Its preciousness is due to the peculiar extraction process. It has a thousand-year healing tradition thanks to its properties, antioxidants, regenerative, firming, moisturizing, soothing, anti-inflammatory and healing.
Prickly Pear Seed Oil is one of the rarest and most expensive carrier oils in the world. The oil comes from the seeds of the fruit of a cactus Opuntia ficus-indica , also referred to as barbary fig and is a member of the Cactaceae family. The parts of the plant include pads (also called leaves or cladodes) covered with spines, fruits (or tunas), seeds, flowers, and stems/trunks. The fruits range in color and can be green, yellow, orange, or red.
While the prickly pear is native to parts of the United States, Mexico, and South America, and also flourishes in Africa, Australia, and the Mediterranean, the best prickly pear seed oil for skin care is sourced from Morocco.
The oil is extracted by cold pressing the seeds found in the fruit of the cactus. The prickly pear fruits contain about 150-300 seeds each on average. However, the seeds are tiny and contain about 5% oil. Therefore, it takes a whopping 8 tons (8000 kg) of prickly pear fruits to produce just 1 liter of oil, which makes it the most expensive carrier oil in the world.
Despite the high costs, cosmetic experts will vouch for the wondrous effects of the prickly pear seed oil due to which it is a key ingredient of the world’s most expensive lotions and cosmetic oil. In its natural form, it is rich in antioxidants, vitamin E and omega components. The combination of these elements create an elixir of youth and beauty that will make the cells live longer and regenerate in a healthy manner.
Appearance – The oil is bright gold and has a light scent reminiscent of wet hay.
Key Components and their Benefits:
– Linoleic Acid – 60 – 65%, Linoleic acid is an omega-6 essential fatty acid that nourishes and repairs. Linoleic acid strengthens our skin’s barrier, allowing it to better retain moisture. Also referred to as vitamin F, this fatty acid fights inflammation while healing. It also has acne-reducing properties and helps soften the skin. It can even help heal cold sores and minor burns. Nails, cuticles, and hair also benefit from Linoleic acid.
– Oleic acid – 20-23%. Also found in avocados, almond oil, and olive oil, this fatty acid seals in moisture and helps other beneficial ingredients more easily penetrate the skin.
– Palmitic acid – 13-14% – Also found in palm tree oil, research has found that this acid has antioxidant and healing properties, and can even help with dermatitis and eczema. It’s found naturally in our skin, but quantities diminish as we age.
– Tocopherols (Vitamin E) – Prickly pear seed oil contains almost 150% more vitamin E than argan oil. This naturally occurring antioxidant acts as a free radical scavenger, preventing them from causing damage that leads to signs of aging. It also has serious anti-inflammatory properties, helping wounds heal faster, and can even repair damage caused by UV rays and environmental pollution. It’s great for sunburns and redness as well.
– Phytosterols – This component of prickly pear seed oil is similar to cholesterol, as it binds to water. When applied topically, water-binding phytosterols help the skin retain moisture, making for a strong, healthy skin barrier. They also assist in collagen production, keeping our skin youthful and soft, and have even been found to reverse the effects of aging.
– Polyphenols – Not only do polyphenols boost antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-carcinogenic properties, they also fight oxidative stress—an imbalance between free radical production and the body’s ability to defend against them. Like tocopherols, they are also free radical scavengers. Polyphenols prevent and treat sun damage, and can help with redness and irritation.
Due to its superior regenerative properties, the oil is also called a Natural Botox.
Aethon’s Prickly Pear Seed oil is sourced from USDA Certified processors in Morocco and is prices at INR 700 (+ taxes) per 10 ml .