Man cuts finger off after snake bite ‘to save his life,’ but doc says it was ‘really unnecessary’
Doctors say a man in China hacked off his own finger after he was bitten by a snake that he believed was highly venomous. The man, identified as a 60-year-old named Zhang, reportedly claimed he was bitten on his index finger by a Deinagkistrodon acutus while working in the mountains.
The species is found in Southeastern China, as well as northern Vietnam and parts of Taiwan, and typically prefers shaded habitats in forests, or among rocks in valley streams, according to Animal Diversity Web.
While its venom can injure humans, it has also been used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and pain in tendons and bones. Not all bites are fatal, but the man allegedly heard that death could be instant so he cut his finger off with his knife, according to AsiaWire.