India reveals plan for third moon mission
Captain, 7 crew abducted from Greek oil tanker in Cameroon port
Turkish parliament approves sending troops to Libya
Jakarta floods: cloud seeding planes try to break up heavy rain
By 65tes 04 january 2019
Iran’s most powerful military commander, Gen Qasem Soleimani, has been killed by a US air strike in Iraq.
The 62-year-old spearheaded Iranian military operations in the Middle East as head of Iran’s elite Quds Force.
He was killed at Baghdad airport, along with other Iran-backed militia figures, early on Friday in a strike ordered by US President Donald Trump.
Mr Trump said the general was “directly and indirectly responsible for the deaths of millions of people”.
But the US has called the commander and the Quds Force terrorists and holds them responsible for the deaths of hundreds of US personnel.
President Trump, who was in Florida at the time of the strike, tweeted an image of the American flag shortly after the news broke.
“While Iran will never be able to properly admit it, Soleimani was both hated and feared within the country,” he said.
Turkey is poised to send troops to Libya to support the UN-backed government against rivals and boost Ankara’s claims in the Mediterranean. The move threatens to deepen a proxy struggle in the North African country.
Turkey’s parliament on Thursday authorized the government to send troops to Libya to support the UN-backed government in Tripoli.
The Tripoli-based GNA has been struggling to repel a monthslong offensive by General Khalifa Haftar’s eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA), which has been supported by Egypt, Jordan, Russia, the United Arab Emirates, and France.
Egypt immediately condemned the Turkish vote, warning of “repercussions of any Turkish military intervention in Libya.” US President Donald Trump warned Erdogan against “foreign interference” in Libya in a phone call after the vote, the White House said.
Armed men staged a night raid on a Greek oil tanker anchored in a Cameroonian port and abducted eight crewmen, including the vessel’s Greek captain, the merchant marine ministry and the ship’s owner said Tuesday.
“An armed group boarded the tanker and ordered eight crew members including the 45-year-old captain to disembark,” a representative of owner Eastern Mediterranean Athens (EMA) told AFP, requesting anonymity.
One crewman, a Greek national, was receiving treatment at a local Cameroonian hospital for a wound to the ankle by a stray bullet, port police said in a statement.
“Merchant Marine Minister Yannis Plakiotakis… is following developments closely, along with the Greek foreign ministry and the oil tanker’s operator,” the merchant marine ministry statement said.
Cameroonian authorities have not confirmed the attack, the third such incident in a month, of which two targeted Greek vessels.
– Third incident in a month –
India has announced it will make another attempt to land on the moon, following a mission that ended in failure last year.Ata news conference Wednesday, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) chairman K. Sivan said that the government hasapproved a third lunar mission. The mission, named Chandrayaan-3 — which means “moon vehicle” in Sanskrit — will include a new propulsion module, moon lander and rover, Sivan said.The new equipment would cost around $35 million, with its launcher costing a further $51 million, an ISRO spokesman told CNN Business.If successful, India will become only the fourth country to make a soft landing on the moon, after the United States, the former Soviet Union and China. India’s first lunar mission was in 2008, when it crashed an impact probe into the moon in a controlled landing — but a soft landing is a far greater technical challenge.Wednesday’s announcement comes only months after India’s failed Chandrayaan-2 moon landing mission, which had set out to collect mineral and chemical samples.
Dozens dead in Indonesian capital and surrounds as role of global heating is acknowledged in ‘extreme’ event
Indonesia carried out cloud seeding to try to prevent further rainfall over the capital, Jakarta, and surrounding areas as the death toll reached 47 on Saturday amid flash floods and landslides.
Two small planes had earlier been readied to drop sodium chloride to break up potential rain clouds in the skies above the Sunda Strait, Indonesia’s technology agency said.
Tens of thousands of Indonesians were crammed in emergency shelters waiting for floodwaters to recede in and around Jakarta after the massive new year’s flooding, officials said.
Source shabait, cnn, bbc,