Girl, six, is electrocuted when lightning hits her home in Indonesia as she plays with a phone plugged into a charger
A girl in Indonesia has died while playing with a charging mobile phone during a lightning strike on Wednesday.
The victim, Salsabila Ayu Putri, six, was electrocuted while playing as a storm passed over her home in Sanja village, in the Bogor regency of West Java.
The girl’s mother, identified as Ms Widiya, 30, told Bogor Police that she suffered an electric shock while unplugging the charger just after the lightning struck.
Bogor Police spokeswoman Ita Puspita told tempo.co: ‘When (Ms Widiya) unplugged the cellphone (charging) cable, she said an electrical current shocked her hand.’
The mother then discovered her daughter on the floor, with a blistered right cheek and a blackened chest.
Ms Widiya called neighbours for help straight away but it was too late to save the child, who had stopped breathing.
Police said Salsabila’s family had refused an autopsy of the girl’s body.
The victim’s mother, Ms Widiya, said she had unplugged the charging cellphone cable (file picture) and an electrical current shocked her hand