Sudan crisis: Ex-President Omar al-Bashir moved to prison 17 April 2019 Africa
Sudan’s former President Omar al-Bashir has been moved to Kobar maximum security prison, days after he was deposed in a military coup.
Reports say the ex-leader has until now been detained at the presidential residence under heavy guard.
He is reportedly being held in solitary confinement and is surrounded by tight security.
Months of protests in Sudan led to the ousting and arrest of the long-time ruler on Thursday.
Uganda’s Minister for Foreign Affairs Henry Oryem Okello told Reuters news agency the country would consider offering the deposed leader asylum if he applied, despite an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC).
As an ICC member, Uganda would have to hand over Mr Bashir if he arrived in the country. The ICC has not yet commented.
Africa Live: Updates on this and other stories from AfricaWhy Omar al-Bashir was overthrownTimeline: How Sudan got here
Until now, Mr Bashir’s whereabouts since his removal were unknown. The coup leader at the time, Awad Ibn Auf, said Mr Bashir was being detained in a “safe place”. He himself stood down soon afterwards.
Lt Gen Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan was then named as head of the transitional military council, to become Sudan’s third leader in as many days.
Demonstrators have vowed to stay on the streets until there is an immediate move to civilian rule.
What’s the latest with the protesters?
Demonstrators remain camped out the military headquarters in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum.
Reports on Monday said there had been efforts to disperse a sit-in, but protesters joined hands and troops stepped back from a confrontation.
Omar al-Bashir: Sudan’s ousted presidentSudan protests: A campaign of defianceWhy the protests started
The Sudanese Professionals’ Association (SPA), which has spearheaded the protests, urged supporters to stop efforts to disperse them, calling on demonstrators to “protect your revolution and your accomplishments”.
An SPA spokesman told the BBC that the group “completely rejected” the transitional military council leading the country, and said protesters seek the dismantling of state intelligence agencies and the “full dissolution of the deep state”.
Military council spokesman Maj Gen Shams Ad-din Shanto announced a raft of new measures on Sunday, including the end of censorship and new heads of the security forces.
The council has arrested former government members, he said, and will put in place whatever civilian government and whichever prime minister opposition groups agree.
Are military takeovers on the rise in Africa?
But while the council promised not to remove protesters from their sit-in, the major also called on them to stop unauthorised roadblocks and “let normal life resume”.
“Taking up arms will not be tolerated,” he added