The horrific blast occurred between Sennaya Ploshchad and Sadovaya train station in St Petersburg, Russia
Ambulances raced to the scene of the carnage caused by a nail bomb which was detonated on the network
Metro officials reported blast was from an improvised explosive device on board which included shrapnel
At least 10 people are reported to have been killed by the blast and 50 including children have been injured
Nobody has claimed responsibility, but previous attacks on Russia have been blamed on ISIS and Chechens
By Gareth Davies and Julian Robinson In London
These are the first images of the suspected terrorist accused of planting a nail bomb which ripped through carriages on a St Petersburg train killing at least ten and injuring 50 today.
Several Russian media outlets have released the CCTV picture of the bearded suspect who was wearing a long, black top and a hat blamed for caused the carnage by detonating a bomb that was packed with shrapnel.
The terrifying incident took place on a train that was travelling between Sennaya Ploshchad and Sadovaya metro stations. Nobody has claimed responsibility for the explosion, but previous attacks on Russia have been blamed on ISIS and Chechens.
Dozens have been injured, including at least three children, as it was reported the man left a briefcase on a train before moving carriages moments before the deadly blast.
A second explosive device disguised as a fire extinguisher was found and defused in a nearby station.
Bloodied passengers were left strewn across the platform in the Russian city as emergency services scrambled to save those wounded by the bomb and the resulting shards of glass and twisted metal.
Vladimir Putin is in his hometown of St Petersburg today for talks with the president of Belarus and confirmed ‘there are dead and injured’, offering his condolences to the families of those killed.
The Kremlin leader, who wanted to visit the scene in the aftermath of the attack but was held back by security services, said: ‘I have already spoken to the head of our special services, they are working to ascertain the cause of the blasts.
‘The causes are not clear, it’s too early. We will look at all possible causes, terrorism as well as common crime.’
Interfax news agency cited an unidentified source who says the suspect in Monday’s blast might have left the explosive device in a bag.
Russian online news outlet Fontanka published the grainy photo which shows a middle-aged man who entered Petrogradskaya station 20 minutes before the blast.
Interfax news agency earlier quoted a source as saying that surveillance cameras had captured photos of the blast suspect.
At this stage it is not clear whether or not the suspect was wearing the hat and gown as a disguise.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov denied earlier speculation that President Putin was due to pass by the Sennaya Metro station around the time of the blast.
The explosion happened between the Sennaya Ploshchad station and Tekhnologichesky Institut at around 2.40pm local time, Russia’s National Anti-Terrorism Committee said.
A witnesses told Russia’s Life News: ‘People were bleeding, their hair burned. We were told to move to the exit, because the movement stopped. People just fled.
‘My girlfriend was in the next car that exploded. She said that he began to shake. When she came out, she saw that people were mutilated.’
A male eyewitness said: ‘It’s just like a war here. Every special service is here, the FSB, police, and multiple – really a lot of them – ambulances.
‘I don’t think I’ve ever seen to many paramedics in my life. Something completely horrible is happening here.’
Eight bodies were recovered from the carriage while two more were found on the platform or were in the tunnel.
Earlier reports indicated a backpack had been thrown onto the train and witnesses also suggested there had been multiple explosions, but officials confirmed just the one blast.
Russian security agencies did find an explosive device at a different metro station in central St Petersburg and made it safe, the National Anti-Terrorist Committee said in a statement.
The device was found at the Ploshchad Vosstaniya metro station, a different location from where a blast earlier took place.
Other witnesses also described a man leaving a briefcase on one carriage before moving to another just seconds before the huge explosion.
As reports of the suspected terror attack trickled through to the capital, Moscow heightened its security and local reports suggest three metro stations – Nagatinskaja, Savelovskaya and Ugrezhskaya (CIP) – were cordoned off due to suspicious packages.
Russian President Vladimir Putin says investigators are examining all causes for the blast in St Petersburg today – including terrorism.
And while no-one has yet come forward to claim responsibility, the country’s security services have previously said they had foiled ‘terrorist attacks’ on Moscow’s public transport system by militants.
An attack on St Petersburg, Russia’s old imperial capital, would have some symbolic force for any militant group, especially ISIS or Chechen secessionist rebels.
ISIS, which has drawn recruits from the ranks of Chechen rebels, has also threatened attacks across Russia in retaliation for the Kremlin’s military intervention in war-torn Syria. Russia has been on particular alert against radicalised Chechen militants returning from the battlefield in Syria – and wary of any attempts to resume attacks that dogged the country several years ago.
Just days ago, the Kremlin said authorities had detained one of the attackers who carried out a deadly strike on a military base in Chechnya, in which six soldiers and six rebels died.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4375518/Explosion-metro-St-Petersburg.html#ixzz4dCnHpa4k
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook